Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Banning Bossy!

Yesterday I stumbled upon an interesting campaign that seems to be spreading across American blogs. Its the 'Ban Bossy' campaign. Since seeing this online, the wheels haven't stopped turning in my head. I started to question how assertive I am and how its perceived to others. I'm a high school teacher so being assertive and strong is very important to getting my job done and done well! I'm pretty sure that this character trait spills out of the class and into my social life and I've often wondered how to control it without losing a part of me. I think I was brought up to have a mind of my own and to stand up for myself. At the end of the day, I want my female students (and future daughters) to think that they are as worthwhile as the male students and they can also be ambitious and display leadership qualities.  This is what I found on http://banbossy.com/

When a little boy asserts himself, he's called a "leader". Yet when a little girls does the same, she risks being branded "bossy". Words like bossy send a message: don't raise your hand or speak up. By middle school, girls are less interested in leading than boys- a trend that continues into adulthood. Together we can encourage girls to lead. 


I suggest a visit to the "Ban Bossy" website and view the Beyonce video. Well worth a watch.





No comments:

Post a Comment