Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Reasons to love Winter

Autumn (Fall) is officially here and some trees are slowly changing colour but still Cape Town is warm. This week we are having temperatures in the upper 20s and I am ready to start experiencing some cooler weather again.



Last weekend I was going through my wardrobe, attempting a 'spring/autumn' clean out and it got me thinking about what I love about the change of seasons. Each new season is a new start in my mind, so its always exciting for me. I like the idea of changing not only my wardrobe but eating habits and home decor with the season.

So here is a list of my favourite winter things, Enjoy :)

Hot Chocolate


There is something very relaxing about sitting on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate (marshmallows optional) when the weather is being uncivilized outside. 
Although most people mix some powder with milk or hot water, I try to make a meal of my hot chocolates by doing the following: I break up some pieces of decent chocolate bars and fill a third of my mug with the pieces. Half of the pieces are milk and the other half are dark chocolate pieces. Then I heat up some full cream milk until it starts to bubble slowly then pour it into my mug. The hot milk will melt the chocolate and make a very rich decadent treat. This is not a hot chocolate that you can drink every day but I think that's also what makes it special, its a occasional treat.
With that basic recipe, I've also added cinnamon to a cup, or a peppermint piece to give it a minty chocolate taste. Something I would like to try in making a hot chocolate with only dark chocolate, a pinch of chilli flakes and some cream. Will update you when I try that one.

Colourful Stockings


One major bonus of winter for me is being able to wear stockings everyday! I adore stockings, any colour or print, doesn't matter, I love them all. I even remember as a teenager having stockings that were tie-dyed ones in shades of grey and black ones with small whales all over. My legs are not my best feature but for some reason I feel more confident when they are clad in an opaque blue, black or burgundy. When I'm feeling quite daring I'll bring out the green, purple, pinks and orange stockings that I have been collecting over the years.


Warm winter bedding

This has been something that I've wanted for awhile but haven't been able to afford. A (fake) fur throw for my bed. In grey. I can't imagine anything cosier than white linen and and soft throw that you can drape over you while you read in bed on a cold and chilly night. Can you? 


Rainy mornings

Call me crazy but I enjoy waking up early on a rainy Sunday to go to the beach. I know it can seem gloomy but the ocean becomes more energetic in bad weather. The waves are powerful and I like the colour that the rocks and sand turn when its been soaked throughout the night. The colours and images force me to reflect and appreciate everything that I have. Besides there is always hot chocolate waiting when you get back home ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment